Wednesday 23 November 2011

Look after the Penneys ...

There is an old saying look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves meaning that if someone takes care not to waste small amounts of money, they will accumulate capital. But when shopping in Penneys Department store this could prove somewhat difficult.(Penneys are branded in markets outside Ireland as Primark)
I hate shopping but recently I hurriedly purchased some items of clothing in Penneys Henry Street outlet. I made a mental calculation of how much I was spending but was surprised to discover at the checkout that my shopping cost me about 8 Euro more than I had anticipated. A quick look at the receipt and at the items revealed that my maths were not at fault - my eyesight maybe! You see Penneys - rather deviously I do think, used a little trick of the trade. If you look at my photo collage you can see that some items are on display with a sign that gives the price (eg) - €7, while other signs say from €15 but with the from written in very small print. The items on the "from" stand START at €15 but are variously priced on an attached price tag. I had failed to notice the "from" in small print on the signs. What they are doing is completely legit of course - but a sneaky method of catching customers out.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Unfortunately your collage wasn't on show. However, I know exactly what you mean. For me the difference between the € and £ is difficult to work out (me - dunderhead) but when we were in Dublin we had a similar experience when buying a pair of gloves. It was in a big store (name has left me) in Henry Street. It's a long story but in the end it turned out the exchange rate had been incorrectly applied. Hey ho! Thank goodness hubs is a Ch.Accountant or we'd have really been done.