Thursday 16 July 2009

Is it a Bike or is it ...

...a Plane?
Henry Street (Sráid Anraí) never disappoints me! It is one of two main pedestrianized shopping streets in Dublin, the other being Grafton Street. I always bring my Lumix if I'm walking through there because I am bound to see something unusual or interesting and today I came across this bicycle chained to a lamppost.
They say that once you learn to ride a bike it stays with you for life, but I'm not sure if I'd chance this one after a few years absence from Tour de France. It reminded me of those daft looking airplanes that you might see on The Discovery Channel and you'd ask yourself, "Can that thing fly?" Same designer?

3 comments:

Nihal said...

Although a bike like this or a machine is impractical for everyday use, it does prove that a human being can indeed fly without the aid of an engine:) As you remember Leonardo DaVinci drew some diagrams of a flying machine, which could be described as an "ornithopter" that was to allow a man to fly under his own power. And another example from our history, Hezarfen Ahmet Celebi -the famous Turkish writer and traveler- lived in Istanbul during the Ottoman period in the 17th century and was the first man who flied. After eight or nine tries, Ahmet Çelebi decided it was time to be the first man to fly with his own man made wings. Not only was he going to be the first man to fly, but also the first man to fly from one continent to the other: from the tower of Chris in the Pera district of Istanbul european side, to the Asiatic shore Üsküdar.

Terry said...

Howdy Blogaire
Happy PFF to you .
Like the PTS comment .
I tend to feel it every Friday until I settle down and simoly post
something.
The postcards you shared today are so much fun.
Thank you for making me smile this Friday.
Happy Trails

Beth Niquette said...

Daft, yes! I love that word, Daft. I haven't heard anyone but me ever use it until now, though. (grin)

My brother in law collects bicycles, I think he would love to see this one! He still owns the tallest antique bicycle in the world. It sits in his living room.