Saint Brigids is a Church of Ireland cathedral and dates back to the 13 th century. It was built by the Norman bishop of Kildare, Ralph of Bristol in 1223 and is a fine example of early Gothic style with a Central Tower. And reflecting the troubled times in Ireland following the Norman invasion, the cathedral was built for defence as well as worship. After the Reformation the church fell into disrepair and was totally ruined in 1641. It was restored to it's present glory by George Edmund Street in the 19th century.