Thursday 4 February 2010

Almost...

Although Spring is officially almost one month away already there are positive signs appearing that Winter is losing it's grip. I took the first photo in my collage in the grounds of the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham last week (top left). At the time it was just a casual photo but when I uploaded it to my PC today I discovered that there were green buds appearing on the tree. But I needed more proof so I took a stroll to the Blessington Basin in Phibsboro this evening and yes I found more green buds. In my third photo (clockwise) a lone pansy has appeared in the window box at the front of my house. The recent frost and snow decimated all my flowers but somehow this pansy has made a miraculous comeback. It's looking worse for wear but holding it's head high and almost shouting at Winter to go away. And at Blessington Basin I also found it's little primrose cousin also pushing it's head up proudly and singing the praises of Spring. These welcome flowers must be Celtic Warriors because in the Celtic tradition Spring actually commences just now after "Imbolc" in the first week of February.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

UNBELIEVABLE! What a welcomed sight! Here flowers are hidden beneath the snow, tucked away in the ground, safely sleeping for at least another six weeks. I am already longing for summer.;)
Loved your comment on my post yesterday, made me smile.;)
xo
Zuzana

steviewren said...

I noticed some shoots of snowdrops, in my flower beds, have popped their heads above the ground this week.