Thursday 11 February 2010

Fat Thursday - A Polish Tradition

Tlusty Cwartek - or Fat Thursday is a traditional Polish feast marking the last Thursday before Lent. Because Lent is a time of fasting the next opportunity to feast will be Easter. Traditionally it is a day dedicated to eating, where people meet in their homes or in Cafe's with friends and relatives and eat large quantities of cakes and sweets which are forbidden during Lent.
Today I had to drive to Wexford in the sunny south east and when I got back to Dublin at 5pm I received a reminder from my Polish friend Maja of what day it was and so I immediately rushed to the Polish cake shop in Capel street to buy some of the yummy sweet donuts called Paczki (filled with rose marmalade) that you see in my collage. Like during my first introduction to this tradition last year it was an incredible sight as Polish people came from all directions to converge on the small Polish cake shop called "Party Cake". And while I was there another van load of Paczki and Faworki ( a dough finger covered in powdered sugar) arrived from their bakery in Thomas Street. I think it'a a unique and lovely tradition - and I don't mind being Polish for this one day every year.

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Oh, I understand the language (and can read the sign), but I really do not recognize this holiday.;)
xo

steviewren said...

It looks yummy!...is the meaning...eat the goodies before giving them up for Lent? (Baptist here)

Blogaire said...

Apologies, I hadn't time to explain the tradition behind Fat Thursday until I finished work tonight. Just added words to my photos now so hope all is clear.
Obviously you did not have this celebration in Slovakia or Czech Protege - seems it's only in Polska then!
It certainly is yummy Stevie - and you were spot on with your Baptist guesswork!

Valerie said...

I think I would enjoy taking part in Fat Thursday celebrations!