Wednesday 28 October 2009

Meet Me Under Clerys Clock

Clerys is a well known Department Store on Dublin's O'Connell Street and for over a hundred years people arranged to meet here under the clock. Young lovers especially used this as a rendevouz point and after bringing his girl to the pictures and kissing her goodnight a young man might arrange to meet her again next week(if the date went well) "under Clerys clock".
I wonder if in this day of mobile phones and text messages Clerys clock might be slightly redundant?
In my photo you can also see the GPO on the left and the Spire in the centre.
Today's Post is dedicated to my friend Gaelikaa in India. Visit her fabulous blog at - http://gaelikaa.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you so much. I used to use that clock as a meeting point. How did you know?

Valerie said...

I'm really enjoying these pictures.

Blogaire said...

I only found out about this tradition when I moved to Dublin in the 1990's, but I have met friends here on a few occasions - before mobiles became popular.
Apparently Nelson's Pillar was also a popular meeting point - until it was blown up in 1966. The Spire stands near there now.

Unknown said...

Hi there, could you please give me permission
to re use your photo? Please email me denisebrennann@gmail.com