Monday 24 August 2009

But Is It Art?

Art is subjective! One (wo)man's art is another's - " what the heck is that supposed to be?"

At the moment I am renovating my humble abode, and I want to put some inspiring images on my walls. So, as I love photography I decided to make a print from some recent photo - only there was nothing recently inspiring! Instead, I cobbled together some random, left-over images and....
Alright, it's not exactly Andy Warhol!
I showed it to a friend and asked him what did he think? He studied it for a few moments and said, "well, it's .... em... it's nice!"
At least he was honest then! So it's going in the Bathroom!

But on a more serious note, if you want Photographic Art... another friend, Maja (who is by the way, not a bad photographer) has introduced me to an amazing Polish photographer - check him out at - tomasztomaszewski.com/

4 comments:

Maja Miusow said...

but I didnt mean to recommend toamszewski to Ur walls:P personally I think his art is 2 depressing and 2 heavy.

btw did U check out ,,stories'' on his website?-amazing!

Zuzana said...

I like it, particularly the rainbow picture. Did you make a print of all the pictures together?
You know, not many people enjoy the art that I hang on my walls. However, I could not care less as I DO like it. You are right, art is very subjective and what can speak to one person, might not say anything to anyone else. So, if you like your own art, then display it proudly.;))

Valerie said...

Curious about the fishy one. Are they in a bowl on a mat, or something? I actually liked all the pictures. They would definitely be talking pieces.

Blogaire said...

I did check out "Stories" on Tomaszewski's website, and yes the photo's really are amazing Maja. The Gypsies photos I liked because I know some Romany families very well and am aware of their culture and traditions, but the photos do illustrate their marginalization throughout Europe and poverty also.
The "A stone's throw" photos were very sad and the images being in B/W added to their poignancy.
The Polish countryside photos were so very interesting, but you are right Maja - I would not like to put his photos on my wall. I will look out for his book though!

I haven't actually printed the pictures Protege, but I was going to do them as one print - mind you by the time I get around to it I will probably have changed my mind!

The fish are in a bowl in a friends house Valerie. I liked the coloured stones in the bowl and the "white" fish was fascinating because it keeps blowing bubbles. The rainbow I captured yesterday on the M7, the stained glass is in City Hall and the lights/windmill at the entrance to Guinness' Brewery.