Tuesday 18 August 2009

Newsflash!!! Vikings Invade Dublin...

For CBS Evening News, this is Dan Rather reporting...
Oops, wrong tape!
Actually, the Vikings invaded Dublin around 841 a.d., they burned and r.. and pillaged. They were going back home to Scandinavia for the Winter, but the forecast was BAD, lots of storms brewing over the North Sea, so they built a few Apartments, and called the place Dublin (from the Irish words "Dubh Linn"- a black pool). Olsen, Jansen and Larsson looked into the black pool and thought, hmm... this could make us a few Kroner! But it never came to anything! They drank a few pints of the "black stuff", sang a few A-ha and ABBA and Robyn songs, met a few local lassie's and after a few more pint's of the "black stuff", thought the local girls with red hair and freckles actually looked kinda cute...
The Viking's stayed in Dublin!
A few years later - well, around 1759, a Mister Arthur Guinnesson had a bright idea - let's bottle this "black stuff"! And the rest as they say is history!
My photo shows an Amphibious World War Two American/Canadian vehicle called DUKWs, used by Allied forces during the invasion of Normandy. Affectionately known as "Ducks", surviving models are now used for a unique tour of Dublin by a company called Viking Splash Tours. Forget about your average open-top bus tour - this one brings you around the usual city sights, and then - drives into the sea at Grand Canal Docks!
During the tour, you have to wear a Viking "hat" and occasionally roar a Viking battle cry at the top of your voice at passersby, it's great fun!
I don't normally do prose - just photo's, but got carried away after visiting Valerie, Protege, Gaelikaa and A Little Birdie told me so.

6 comments:

Zuzana said...

Wow, the Vikings are a seriously curious bunch, aren't they? Hehe, I would love to take that tour!;))
I think you do so very well with the prose, please carry on!;))
Just out of curiosity; which part of this prose did your visit to my blog actually inspire?;))
Have a great day!;))

Blogaire said...

Hi Protege, I just like the way you describe things. I really love your beach stories, oh and your blog on scary thunderstorms!

steviewren said...

I'm glad you were inspired to speak because I loved the explanation of the picture. What a fun way to tour the city...and to take a boat ride at the same time....awesome!

Valerie said...

I'm asking the same question as Protege. How did I inspire you. I am, however, honoured. I wouldn't mind a trip on the Viking cart, especially when it entered the water.

Blogaire said...

Your short stories are amazing Valerie, very well written.You must publish a book!

Valerie said...

Thank you. I've written two. One is on line, the other waiting to be prepared for same.