Thursday 23 July 2009

I Love Bugs

The Volkswagen Beetle is one of the worlds best known and loved cars. A staggering twenty one million plus of them were produced between 1938 and 2003 when the last ones rolled off the assembly lines in Mexico. The car's popularity belies the fact that it was one Adolf Hitler who ordered famous car-maker Porsche to design a "Volks-Wagen" or "People's Car". Under pressure to complete the car it is said that Porsche "borrowed" the design from Czech car manufacturer Tatra.
After the war clever advertising by VW helped make the car the legend that it is, but of course it was also a remarkably good car, relatively cheap to buy, easy to maintain and it's air-cooled, rear-mounted engine was extremely reliable.
I had the pleasure of owning TWO Beetles in my younger days and have a great nostalgia for them. I already snapped this particular Bug on April 19 in Islandbridge, this time I managed to get up closer on Clontarf Road.
If the proud owners are getting a bit worried I don't blame them!
If they spot me lurking near their beloved Beetle again they will either run me over, chase me away OR tell me to go and see Emilio about getting my own!
(have fun with the "Build a Beetle" feature on Emilio's website)

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

I agree with you, these are indeed timeless cars. They popularity can be seen from the fact that they were re-introduced to the market (in a more modern packaging) about 10 years ago.;))
Everyone claims though that nothing beats the original.
I was not aware of the Tatra connection, one never ceases to learn.;))

Paty said...

Hi! Now I understand, thank you for your explanation! I have to say then that I don´t have a head for heights...

Beth Niquette said...

I LOVE Volkeswagon bugs. I have owned three of them, and would own another if I could. They are wonderful little cars.

I'll just say one thing--they DO float. I know from personal experience. (Grin)