Thursday 14 January 2010

Molloy's Pub Revisited

I featured Molloy's Pub in Talbot Street onTuesday's blog and my good blog friend Stephanie over at A Little Birdie Told Me So enquired about the sculpted heads above the windows outside. My initial enquiries were unsucessful so I went back to Molloy's today (for another Cappucino) and the helpful Barmaid was able to throw a little bit of light on who were the mystery figures. Apparently Molloy's was originally a tea merchants and not a pub at all. And the clue was in the figure that I actually missed on Tuesday and is that of a Chinese man (pictured in todays collage). The story goes that the Sculptor created his figures from some of the tea merchants who frequented the shop which is now Molloy's Pub. However we may never know their exact identity!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Hello! I've not been over for a while as I've been tied up with family affairs and not had much time for visiting my friends....I loved this post, and I intend to catch up on all that I've missed. I hope you are well. Thanks for visiting my blog recently and a belated happy new year to you...and yours...

Zuzana said...

That is a fun story, from tea to beer. How extraordinary. I am sure Stevie will be happy that you investigated the story behind the sculptures.
Beautiful pictures as well.
Thank you for your absolutely lovely comments at all times at my place.:)
xoxo
Zuzana